“Shamanism is a path of knowledge, not of faith, and that knowledge cannot come from me or anyone else in this reality. To acquire that knowledge, including the knowledge of the reality of the spirits, it is necessary to step through the shaman’s doorway and acquire empirical evidence.”
Michael Harner, Ph.D., Founder of the Foundation for Shamanic Studies, and author of The Way of the Shaman
This workshop is facilitated by the Foundation for Shamanic Studies.
The Way of the Shaman: Shamanic Journeying, Power, and Healing
The Basic Workshop in Core Shamanism
19–20 August 2017. 9–5.30pm each day. Byron Bay, NSW.
Investment: $430 (Full) or $375 (Concession)
Early Bird pricing to 15 July $390 (Full) or $340 (Concession)
During the Basic experiential workshop, participants are introduced to core shamanism, the universal and near-universal basic methods of the shaman to enter non-ordinary reality for problem solving and healing. Particular emphasis is on the classic shamanic journey, one of the most remarkable visionary methods used by humankind to explore the hidden universe otherwise known mainly through myth and dream. Participants are initiated into shamanic journeying, aided by drumming and other techniques for experiencing the shamanic state of consciousness and for awakening dormant spiritual abilities, including connections with Nature.
Practice includes comparisons by participants of their discoveries in shamanic journeys as well as being introduced to shamanic divination and healing. They are also provided with methods for journeying to meet and study with their own individual spirit helpers in non-ordinary reality, a classic step in shamanic practice. Participants learn how the journey is utilized to restore spiritual power and health, and how shamanism can be applied in contemporary daily life to help heal oneself, others, and the Planet.
Core Shamanism is the universal or near-universal principles and practices of shamanism not bound to any specific cultural group or perspective, as originated, researched, and developed by Michael Harner. Since the modern world overwhelmingly lost its shamanic knowledge centuries ago due to religious and political oppression, the programs in Core Shamanism from The Foundation for Shamanic Studies (FSS) are particularly intended for modern persons to reacquire access to their rightful spiritual heritage through quality workshops and training courses.
Training in core shamanism includes teaching students to alter their consciousness through classic shamanic non-drug techniques such as repetitive drumming so that they can discover their own hidden spiritual resources, transform their lives, and learn how to help others.
This basis course is a requirement before you can take any of the advanced courses from the Foundation for Shamanic Studies.
The Foundation for Shamanic Studies
Started in 1979, the Foundation for Shamanic Studies presents the world’s foremost training programs in shamanism and shamanic healing. They are based on the pioneering work of anthropologist Michael Harner, who brought shamanism to contemporary life in the West after extensive field and cross-cultural investigation, experimentation, and personal practice. He originated, researched, and developed core shamanism, a system designed for modern persons to apply shamanism and shamanic healing successfully to their daily lives. This system is based upon the underlying shamanic principles and practices, rather than upon culture-specific variations and elaborations. Core shamanism does not focus on ceremonies, such as those of Native Americans, which are part of the work of medicine men and women, persons who do both shamanism and ceremonial work.
When invited by indigenous peoples who have largely lost their shamanic knowledge, the Foundation may send a team to help them establish firsthand shamanic contact with their own spirits and learn from them. With this work done in short time, the team leaves. The Foundation has done this by invitation in various parts of the world, including the Arctic of Eurasia and Canada, and in central Asia.
Where the survival of indigenous shamanism is threatened by outside forces such as religious and political persecution, the Foundation may designate elderly shamans as Living Treasures of Shamanism and provide lifetime stipends to help them pass their precious knowledge on to their peoples.
What previous participants said:
- The course was everything I hoped it would be. I look forward to practicing what I’ve learned, and I feel I received a lot. The teacher’s approach was great. He made us all feel confident as we undertook the journeys. He’s humble yet very knowledgeable, and offers a gentle but sure atmosphere. I look forward to advanced courses soon.
- Eye-opening, super-effective, and gave me confidence and trust. The teacher’s explanations made me feel that it was easy to access the Upper and Lower Worlds, and it was! I’m definitely registering for advanced courses.
- I was amazed at how easy it was to enter the Lower and Upper Worlds. The teacher is full of humor and patience. His explanations were thorough and with examples pulled from a wide variety of spiritual disciplines.
- Wonderful – new levels of experience came one after the other.
- Nice flow overall, and good balance of theory and practice. We got right into the work!
- I made connections to worlds I hadn’t known before. I could relax and have fun.
- The teacher’s answers to questions were not just replies but rather full of rich clues to understand the nature of shamanism more deeply. I look forward to applying these principles in my life.
- A great workshop. Our guide displays a deep knowledge of the Spirits. I look forward to learning more in advanced workshops.
- The explanations were clear, comprehensive, easy to understand and supported by the teacher’s own rich experience. I feel he’s a wonderful person in both knowledge and humanity.
- To know the existence of the Upper and Lower Worlds alleviates much of the distress here in the Middle World. I feel much lighter. Fascinating talks – I now feel like I’ve read several books on shamanism as a result of this course.
- Learning and practicing shamanism in a shrine is the best of all locations – it had an immense effect on me.
- The teacher maintained a very high quality of course material throughout the duration of the two days – I felt his sincerity.
- The many practical exercises were fun, exciting, easy to learn and understand.
- A very substantial course. Everything worked beautifully. The practices and explanations were profound.
- The course was an amazing experience for me – my first time to experience the Lower and Upper Worlds!
- The teacher knows his material thoroughly, and his sense of humor helps us all relax and feel comfortable.
- Learning to have experiences of my own has been just essential and this workshop succeeds in offering participants their own experiences.
- I felt a wonderful unity in the group, and the shrine in which the course is held is a very holy place.
- Informative, precise, with lots of laughter and stories to explain the principles. I believe this course is the best way shamanism can be offered.
- Enlightening – a good mix of theory and practical exercises. The light-hearted approach worked well.
- I feel inspired and want to study shamanism more! Exciting, interesting. The teacher was just great, and the shrine was the ideal place to practice.
- Learning the essence of shamanism at such a low price is amazing! “Core Shamanism” is just great – it bypasses the ritualistic and religious baggage.
- I now have an overall understanding of shamanism, and what can be achieved with these techniques.
- The teacher is very knowledgeable and makes challenging concepts easy to understand. Very enjoyable.
- Our teacher has a very thorough knowledge of his subject, and I feel fortunate to have had him as my instructor. I look forward to advanced courses with him soon.
Cancellation policy for these workshops: Refundable – less 15% admin/bank fees if cancelled 30 days before the workshop or 50% refundable less admin/banking fees up to 14 days before the workshop begins. No refund 14 days before the workshop begins, during or after the workshop.